Thursday 6 October 2011

The Big Decision


The decision process was not a difficult one. My boss was being a boss, I was fed up with the job itself and my better half was overjoyed with the idea of a fresh start overseas. In the words of a friend...’this is our last chance to make it big’.
He was referring to the fact that at our age (I was in my late 30s and he was in his early 40s), we needed to make hay while the sun shines. This same friend later returned to his home country from England after two years when the going got really tough. Again this underscores the need for anyone making this leap to think carefully.

I did my research on the likelihood of getting a job in the capital -London. Colleagues involved in the scheme had provided names of a few recruitment agencies and every time I searched the sites of these companies there were numerous positions waiting to be filled. Till today, I still cannot say for certain whether all the jobs listed as vacant on these sites were actually in existence. One is inclined to ponder this because even at the height of the recession, these firms (even the new ones) would list several job roles as vacant.

At that point in my career, I could afford a trip to England and had actually obtained a visitor’s visa before the work visa came through. So literally to test the ground, I booked the cheapest flight to London. I also required a written confirmation from a UK resident that he/she would accommodate my family until I was able to secure work. My expedition would therefore afford me the opportunity to meet with our host who I also hoped would offer advice on starting life afresh in UK, Employment and the lot.

I spent a greater part of the 10 day visit marvelling at the infrastructure and the different way of life and everything else that is immediately obvious to a first time visitor to England - the 'over the top' (OTP) signs and traffic lights, pedestrian crossings (which motorists actually obey), the orderly nature of  the structures, and the clear distinction between residential and industrial/commercial districts. It was easy to travel around the city without the need for a personal vehicle.  I knew then that I would definitely enjoy living in England.

 I learnt from the visit that in a worst case scenario, it was possible to secure shared accommodation relatively easy and the property owners don't demand two years or more upfront payment(you only need pay weekly or monthly in advance). The rates when converted to Naira or Cedis would however shock any new entrant from a poorer nation. As at mid 2007 an average sized room in a communal arrangement would attract a rent of £80-£100 weekly.

With these information, I felt ready to fly literally and therefore sold my belongings.... well not really because it is difficult to dispose of used household goods. We only got a bit of money from the sale of the car, the rest of the items were given away. Of course there was the issue of resigning from a job most would describe as a lucrative.

Touchdown London Heathrow Airport and the saga began.